2012 Newbies

Speak your mind, probe the masses, wax philosophical or wan intellectual; whatever is clever. Topics in this forum are limited only to appropriate civility and decorum (i.e. be polite and respectful, but talk about whatever you like).

Re: 2012 Newbies

Postby Cytrix » Mon Jun 11, 2012 11:00 am

Who on earth is Lauren? Have you been calling me Lauren this whole time?! :nunchucks:

If you're especially lucky, like me, you'll get your pay in an envelope. I love getting my giant wad of money in hand every month...if only they did it in Y1000 notes so I could roll around in it
http://www.tabemoto.com/
A guide to cooking and eating in southern Japan
Cytrix
3年生

Postby Marie » Mon Jun 11, 2012 3:33 pm

Congratulations on being placed in Kumamoto Prefecture. My name is Marie August and I am one of the Prefectural Advisors based at the Kumamoto Prefectural offices. I can now officially speak :kumamon: as I have been told I can contact new ALTs today :bananadance:

For those of you are going to be placed with the Kumamoto Prefectural Board of Education, I have sent you a welcome email today. I am really excited about meeting you and working alongside you.

It is great to see that this forum is already starting to get active and great to see all the warm welcome messages. Kumamoto is indeed a great placement and you will get to be part of a really amazing and diverse group of ALTs. I have lived in Kumamoto for nearly four years and have lived in Yatsushiro, Amakusa and I now live in Kumamoto City. Again, congratulations, I hope that we can answer any questions you may have. :D
Marie
PA

Postby captainseery » Tue Jun 12, 2012 3:04 am

Hi there! I'm Erika, new ALT and Amakusan (Amakusite?).

I'm glad to see so many people seem to be placed in Amakusa. That way I won't be alone even in the inaka! I'm hoping to hear from my CO or predecessor soon - Marie, you said you weren't allowed to say hi yet? Maybe that's why it's been silent... I really hope I find out something about my exact placement and info on my schools and apartment and such things.

One question - I gather that for us Amakusa folks a car would be super helpful. If my predecessor doesn't have one that I can buy off him/her, will someone at the BoE or somewhere be able to help me find a cheap one somewhere?

I'm super excited to see you all soon!
captainseery
1年生

Postby Erikku » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:29 am

One question - I gather that for us Amakusa folks a car would be super helpful. If my predecessor doesn't have one that I can buy off him/her, will someone at the BoE or somewhere be able to help me find a cheap one somewhere?

Hey Erika! I'm really excited to have another k-spelled Erik/Erika in Amakusa! You are totally right about the car thing, but don't worry about it too much until you get here; if your predecessor doesn't have/isn't willing to sell you his/her car, then your BOE and the rest of us ALTs will be here to make sure you can get one. Make sure you have some money set aside, though, so you can purchase the car once you get here. Used cars can run 50,000 - 200,000+ yen, and this is why the JET program recommends you have money before you come to Japan.
Erikku
1年生

Postby Marie » Tue Jun 12, 2012 9:40 am

Hi Erika,

Amakusa is a great place to be placed. You will be placed with a group of really lovely ALTs and live in what I think is the best place in Kumamoto ( I am biased about this because I used to live there and loved it :D ). My office (Kumamoto Prefectural Board of Education) deals with Prefectural Senior High School ALTs only and we have no new ALTs going to Amakusa. You will be contacted by the Board of Education in Amaksua or by your predecessor. Each contracting organization has their own process for deciding placements for new ALTs and how they contact them. I am sure it will not be long before you here something. :D
Marie
PA

Postby rigabamboo » Tue Jun 12, 2012 6:04 pm

captainseery wrote: I'm hoping to hear from my CO or predecessor soon - Marie, you said you weren't allowed to say hi yet? Maybe that's why it's been silent... I really hope I find out something about my exact placement and info on my schools and apartment and such things.

It's likely that your pred doesn't even know he/she is your pred yet. I believe the placement decisions haven't been made yet. You'll hear soon, though! Just keep checking your email obsessively - wait no, I mean - try not to think about it and enjoy your last one month+ in the US while you can. Meet up with your friends and eat all your favorite foods because you'll miss them when you're here.

And echoing what Erik said, you will need a car, and you'll probably be able to buy one from your pred, but if not, the BOE will help you find one, and we'll make sure you can get around in the meantime. We're a friendly group here in Amakusa that makes sure our newbies are getting along okay. :kanpai:
犬に小判
rigabamboo
1年生

Postby Lsorondo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:20 am

Cytrix wrote:Who on earth is Lauren? Have you been calling me Lauren this whole time?! :nunchucks:

I'm Lauren ;) Sorry for the confusion.
Lsorondo
2年生

Postby Lsorondo » Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:23 am

captainseery wrote:Hi there! I'm Erika, new ALT and Amakusan (Amakusite?).

I'm glad to see so many people seem to be placed in Amakusa. That way I won't be alone even in the inaka! I'm hoping to hear from my CO or predecessor soon - Marie, you said you weren't allowed to say hi yet? Maybe that's why it's been silent... I really hope I find out something about my exact placement and info on my schools and apartment and such things.

Hi Erika!

I'm Lauren; also an incoming Amakusite (I think "Amakusan" should be our reverent name for our awesome new home!) I'm glad to hear from someone else incoming to Amakusa. Are you group A or B? I haven't heard from my pred or CO yet either, but...*checks email obsessively*
Lsorondo
2年生

Postby captainseery » Thu Jun 14, 2012 1:26 pm

I can't tell you all how nice it is to get such warm welcomes from everyone. It makes the whole process a little less crazy and nerve wracking.

Hi Lauren! I'm looking forward to meeting you! I'm in group A, coming from Chicago. What about you? I hope I'll get to see you for the Tokyo orientation, otherwise I'll see you in Amakusan (Amakusama? That might be a bit much...)

And now back to checking email obsessively...
captainseery
1年生

Postby captainseery » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:47 am

I got a package from the Amakusa BoE today! Still no news on what schools I will be at, but they did give me an address so I imagine they know who my pred is and everything.

So who can tell me about Itsuwa-machi?
captainseery
1年生

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion