Advice on buying a car.

Speak your mind, probe the masses, wax philosophical or wan intellectual; whatever is clever. Topics in this forum are limited only to appropriate civility and decorum (i.e. be polite and respectful, but talk about whatever you like).

Advice on buying a car.

Postby BlueSunTzu » Fri Jul 13, 2012 2:39 pm

Hey,

Not sure if this is the right place to post this, but I am looking to buy a reasonably priced used car in Japan. Are there any recommended sites for this purpose? Or, are there any other forums or online communities (preferably in english) that would list cars for sale? (Already tried Craigslist.) I already looked at some postings in the trade section, but I'm not sure if I can find what I'm looking for there.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
BlueSunTzu
1年生

Re: Advice on buying a car.

Postby Erikku » Sat Jul 14, 2012 10:46 am

Don't have any recommendable websites for you, but I'd suggest that you wait until you get to Japan before you worry about buying a car. It's much better if you can see the car in person and check it's condition than to do it all online.

When I bought my car, I asked my supervisor at the BOE for help. As it turned out, he has two different cousins who own car repair shops/car dealerships. It was kinda shady, but I ended up with a really sweet deal because I was "part of the family." My car only cost me 50,000 yen to start, and when I renewed the shaken (mandatory 2-year renewal of license on the car, taxes, insurance, and basic repair) last month it only cost an extra 70,000 yen.

If I had bought my car at a big dealership or gotten repairs at any other repair shop, I probably would have paid twice as much. It may be scary to think about dealing with car stuff in Japanese, but ask your friends/supervisor for help and you'll have SO many more options available to you than if you were to buy online.
Erikku
1年生

Postby watermark1079 » Tue Oct 13, 2015 9:43 pm

Heloo budyzz...

You've probably been eyeing some cars on the road for a while, so start by researching the models that have caught your attention on independent auto
information websites.
watermark1079
2年生

Postby watermark1079 » Wed Nov 18, 2015 8:47 pm

Thanks for advice.
watermark1079
2年生

Return to General Discussion