New here? Introduce yourself!

Speak your mind, probe the masses, wax philosophical or wan intellectual; whatever is clever. Topics in this forum are limited only to appropriate civility and decorum (i.e. be polite and respectful, but talk about whatever you like).

Re: New here? Introduce yourself!

Postby ExclamatIan » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:05 pm

Ibis wrote:I'm originally from Oklahoma, where it is way hotter than Kumamoto-ken, so I'm not worried at all!

Somehow I can't believe that Oklahoma is hotter than Kumamoto. I was living South Texas before coming here and the summers definitely kicked my ass.

But welcome! From one Ian to another! :kumamon:
ExclamatIan
Area Leader

Postby Zane » Fri Jul 08, 2011 10:32 am

ExclamatIan wrote:
Ibis wrote:I'm originally from Oklahoma, where it is way hotter than Kumamoto-ken, so I'm not worried at all!

Somehow I can't believe that Oklahoma is hotter than Kumamoto. I was living South Texas before coming here and the summers definitely kicked my ass.

But welcome! From one Ian to another! :kumamon:

Yeah, this is one of those ignorance is bliss things. Your eyes will be pried open with a crowbar (rusted over from the humidity) soon enough, Ibis. :D It's really hard to explain if you haven't lived here before, but let's just say, the Jamaicans think it's too hot here. :joy:
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!" - H. J. Simpson
Zane
PA

Postby Ibis » Fri Jul 08, 2011 4:23 pm

Haha, you might be right about that. But I have to say the average around here has been a humid 106 fahrenheit everyday and we haven't even reached the hottest month of the year yet. :P I am totally looking forward to living by the ocean once I arrive in Japan, though. That has to make cooling off at least a little easier, right? I need some kind of hope if you're going to compare the heat to a rusty crowbar. Crowbars are dangerous. :wow:
I'll send you the goat.
Ibis
1年生

Postby Zane » Fri Jul 08, 2011 5:03 pm

The heat isn't like a crowbar, it's like being wrapped in a hot, damp, dirty towel all the time, and there's nothing you can do about it. I was only going to use the crowbar to open your eyes, but that's completely safe as I've been certified.

Yes, Oklahoma is hotter, but I think it'll feel hotter here as you'll have much less access to consistent air conditioning. That's what everyone from warm climates says anyway. I'm from Portland, you see, and as far as I'm concerned all this filthy stickiness is clearly the work of powerful witches.
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!" - H. J. Simpson
Zane
PA

Postby Rubberbear » Sat Jul 09, 2011 3:17 am

Zane wrote:The heat isn't like a crowbar, it's like being wrapped in a hot, damp, dirty towel all the time, and there's nothing you can do about it.

Oh joy. I'm going to melt. Being from Massachusetts it's always pretty nice here, even at the worst you aren't miserable. And the only heat I'm used to is Arizona. Which is comfy since it's so dry. >.< しかたがない
Rubberbear
1年生

Postby Silky_Mielke » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:12 am

AC makes a worlds difference here. However, the summer becomes downright dreadful if your home AC doesn't quite cut it or your schools refuse to turn on the AC to save valuable electricity or that gaman'ing through the heat builds character. I know my great motherstate of Oohioooo can get a bit hotter then Kumamoto but its the humidity that makes you say "I am miserable Kumamoto! Milk was a bad choice!". Also the absence of pools (and being denied to swim in the schools pools) is quite a powerful blow.

Anyways, besides that, welcome all new Kumamoto Jets! It is truly a beautiful ken with amazing people, an amazing mascot :kumamon: , and amazing JETs. For those heading out to Yatsushiro, Ian (ExclamatIan) and I will be more then happy to answer any questions. :joy:
Silky_Mielke
1年生

Postby saravbrown » Sat Jul 16, 2011 11:09 am

Over here in New Orleans we have 95F/35C temps with 90+% humidity during summer and boy do we love our A/Cs... My experience living here has me convinced that those who don't use A/Cs are demon spawn.
saravbrown
1年生

Postby _O853 » Fri Aug 12, 2011 10:41 am

Hi all,
I was upgraded two weeks ago and today I discovered I was joining you guys in Kumamoto-ken come mid-Sept, yay! They said I was based in Taragi-machi. The internet has been a little sparse on details for that area so if you can tell me anything, that would be helpful.

I am based in Boston currently but grew up in upstate NY. I graduated college a year ago with a degree in Japanese Lit/Culture and spent the past year temping and essentially doing nothing related to Japan in a poor attempt to make money. Therefore I am super psyched to be returning to Japan (I was in Kyoto for nine months last time) and being more than an office monkey :lol:

Let's see, hobbies....I like to run, do stupid crazy stuff that makes me sound much more like a badass than I actually am, dance....oh, and eat!

I
_O853
1年生

Postby fehrkl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:48 pm

Wow! Glad they found someone to come to Taragi so soon!

http://kumagunguide.wordpress.com/
This is the website Aurora and I have slowly sort of been putting together, but will give you lots of info on the area.

Does this mean you'll go running with me?! I was sorely lacking in motivation last year because everyone else was so far away.

Anyway, email me if you have any other questions. fehrkl at gmail . com

Krista
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
fehrkl
KumAJET/Area Leader

Postby deleydutton » Sat Aug 27, 2011 3:36 pm

Hello, hello! I'll be arriving in Arao-shi in the end of September. :) From the little bit that I've gotten from the internet, it seems like it's a beautiful place. And the weird pears have gotten the coconut song stuck in my head. "Big ones, small ones, some the size of you're head!" =D

Anyway... I'm from Michigan, and I'm a recent grad. I studied creative writing, East Asian studies, and linguistics. I was born in Japan, because my parents were in the military. I like doodling, wandering, and cooking with other people. :)
deleydutton
1年生

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion