JLPT

Speak your mind, probe the masses, wax philosophical or wan intellectual; whatever is clever. Topics in this forum are limited only to appropriate civility and decorum (i.e. be polite and respectful, but talk about whatever you like).

JLPT

Postby tedman1313 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:13 am

Hey all. Wondering who all is gonna be making their way to Kurume for the JLPT on the third. If you are and want to do some study sessions between now and the test let me know. All levels are welcome. Anyone doing level 1 and hates the useless grammar as much as I do is encouraged to come along so we can discuss how many Japanese teachers have said they don't use the grammar in daily life and most young people don't know it.
tedman1313
2年生

Re: JLPT

Postby ExclamatIan » Tue Jun 21, 2011 7:10 am

I'm taking N4 in Kagoshima. It's almost like they don't want you to take this damn test. The application was so needlessly complex.
ExclamatIan
Area Leader

Postby tedman1313 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:22 am

The application is a test in itself. Only those who can figure it out and take the time to do it may take their precious tests. I guess they sent some down to Kagoshima as well. I only seem to get placed in Kagoshima for winter tests...
tedman1313
2年生

Postby scottb » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:44 am

Seriously. It will be nice when the JLPT joins the rest of us in the 21st century and creates an online application process.
scottb
PA

Postby Zane » Tue Jun 21, 2011 11:51 am

And a machine that can score a scantron test in less than 3 months.

Oh wait, they have those. Silly JLPT.
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!" - H. J. Simpson
Zane
PA

Postby tedman1313 » Tue Jun 21, 2011 12:38 pm

Yeah, it's ridiculous I have to wait 2 months for them to tell me that I failed 1-kyu. It's all multiple guess... kinda ridiculous.
tedman1313
2年生

Postby Maikeru » Fri Jun 24, 2011 11:16 am

I'm sure it's just a Japan Foundation conspiracy to teach us all the (perceived) virtue of patience. Bah.. :?
Maikeru
Area Leader

Postby Andrea » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:27 am

I want to take it this year, I think. You guys who have taken it, can you talk about how the actual test works? Is it all bubbles and multiple choice? Is there an essay portion? Etc. I know tons of people take it and talk about it online, but come on, this is our ken-family! :kumamon: I want to hear from my neighbors, not go info-fragment searching and end up reading anything out of date or politically correct. ;) More than anything, what expectations did you have, and then how did the real thing go for you, and what was the atmosphere?
Andrea
1年生

Postby jshon » Fri Aug 26, 2011 10:58 am

You should definitely take it! It's a good way to see how far your Japanese has come and you can even put it on your resume.

There is no essay. It is all multiple choice. Depending on what level you take (there are 5 levels, 1 being the toughest), the length of the test and the way the test is organized varies. But in general you should be prepared for a listening section and a vocabulary/grammar/reading section. The vocab/grammar/reading section is divided into two parts for levels 5, 4, and 3.

I took the test in July. I wasn't particularly confident going into the test and though I haven't got the results back yet I'm still not confident. I found the vocab/reading/grammar the hardest, but the listening was much more manageable. I think just living in Japan for a while really helps. My favorite part of the whole thing, though, was during the test they're very strict about not talking and not doing anything you're supposed to do. During the test the guy next to me made a short joke to his friend and the supervisor women walked straight up to him and held up a yellow card just like in soccer. It was brilliant! Apparently there's a red card, too. You have to leave the room if you're lucky enough to get one of those.
jshon
PA

Postby Andrea » Fri Aug 26, 2011 11:40 am

HAHAHA! A yellow card!? I want one.
Andrea
1年生

Next

Return to General Discussion