Car Insurance

Speak your mind, probe the masses, wax philosophical or wan intellectual; whatever is clever. Topics in this forum are limited only to appropriate civility and decorum (i.e. be polite and respectful, but talk about whatever you like).

Car Insurance

Postby Makkotah » Sun Aug 28, 2011 1:06 am

I have a quick question about car insurance. My car is insured and I'm already able to drive. However, there is an area JET party tomorrow that I was planning on drinking alcohol at. My thought was to drive up there and then have one of the other JETs who didn't drink anything drive us back. Is this kosher? Does the mandatory insurance cover other drivers? Is this one of those things that varies case by case? If so, is there something I may be able to look for on my own to verify this in my insurance policy? I suppose I could bother my tantosha, but he's got like 7 of us to manage and is a really busy guy so I'd like to not bother him with this trifle if at all possible.

All else fails I'll just not drink, but if anyone could provide some information on this I'd greatly appreciate it. My google-fu has turned up nothing in this regard.
Makkotah
1年生

Re: Car Insurance

Postby jshon » Mon Aug 29, 2011 11:10 am

Hi Makkotah,

Congrats on being able to drive. And on being insured!
Compulsory Automobile Insurance covers only death or bodily injury to a third party. According to NLIRO (Non-Life Insurance Rating Organization of Japan), the non-profit organization that regulates premium rates for compulsory and voluntary automobile insurance, the insured is the "owner" and "driver" of the automobile. That means that yes as long as your give your friend permission to drive your car, the Compulsory Automobile Insurance still applies. However, if you get in an accident, person held liable for damages is the owner of the vehicle, meaning you.

Here's where I got the information: http://www.nliro.or.jp/english/automobile.html

Keep in mind this is only Compulsory Automobile Insurance, whose coverage is very limited. You should also have Voluntary (or Optional) Automobile Insurance, which can cover a variety of things, including damages to your vehicle, injury to you, injury to passengers, injury to a third party (over and above what is covered by the Compulsory Automobile Insurance), and protection against uninsured vehicles. To find out whether or not your Voluntary Automobile Insurance still applies if it is driven by someone other than the owner, I recommend checking your specific insurance plan. Mine does. I recommend asking your tantousha or one of your teachers/coworkers if you really want to know. I know your tantousha is probably really busy, but this is a legit and very important question. Just make sure to bring your slip that shows the content of your insurance plan.

Hope that helps!
jshon
PA

Re: Car Insurance

Postby Makkotah » Mon Aug 29, 2011 9:21 pm

Thanks. I had looked into it and yep allowing other people to drive me around is fine. However I also looked and I'm not 100% sure but I think I only have the compulsory insurance which, uh, yeah, I need to get fixed. Thanks for the info, though.
Makkotah
1年生

Return to General Discussion