Milk! ...aka the food finding thread

Where do you shop? Where do you eat? Where do you workout? Where do you pray? Where do you learn that sexy dance fighting, capoeira? Share your recommendations on anything and everything related to life in Kumamoto.

Milk! ...aka the food finding thread

Postby red spacesuit » Tue Aug 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Ah I feel bad about posting a whole new thread for this but my first trip grocery shopping and no milk because it's all whole milk!! I heard this is the way it is in Japan but I also heard it's possible to find skim. Anyone in the kamimashiki area have any luck with this? I'm find drinking soy but I really don't want my shiny new yogurt maker to go to waste T_T

Also where can you find anise? dark chocolate (bar or chip form is fine but no nuts.. it's for baking!)?

And while I'm here I might as well ask if anyone has any recommended cook books (preferably in english) suited for all the goodies available in a Japanese market :)
red spacesuit
1年生

Re: Milk! ...aka the food finding thread

Postby Cytrix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 10:35 am

Kia ora! Fellow Kamimashiki-ite here! I need skim/trim milk for health reasons, and also am faced with the milk problem! I found the following kanji from ITIL for milk...

Low fat milk is: 低脂肪乳 and fat free/skim: 無脂肪乳

I'm popping in to the supermarket today after work, so will have a good examine and then post pictures to help! So far I just bought a carton of light-blue milk, hoping it was skim. I guess we will find out!
http://www.tabemoto.com/
A guide to cooking and eating in southern Japan
Cytrix
3年生

Postby umeboshi » Wed Aug 10, 2011 11:00 am

Good rule of thumb: the cheaper one is skim. Also check out the fat content on the side label to double check. :bananadance:
umeboshi
2年生

Postby Cytrix » Wed Aug 10, 2011 6:39 pm

Right I wasn't able to find non-fat milk, but I found low fat milk! It's definitely the light blue carton milk
http://www.tabemoto.com/
A guide to cooking and eating in southern Japan
Cytrix
3年生

Postby red spacesuit » Thu Aug 11, 2011 8:34 pm

Low fat milk! Well, if I get desperate it will definitely be better than nothing :) thanks for the tiny glimmer of hope! I'll have another go at milk shopping once I find a grocery within walking distance xD! And thanks umeboshi for the tip about price!
red spacesuit
1年生

Postby fehrkl » Thu Aug 18, 2011 1:30 pm

http://www.okinawahai.com/2011/03/japan ... books.html

They have a couple of suggestions for books to help out at the store and with cooking. I haven't purchased any yet so I don't know for sure how good they are, but I have run across them.
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
fehrkl
KumAJET/Area Leader

Postby Holly » Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:57 am

red spacesuit wrote:Ah I feel bad about posting a whole new thread for this but my first trip grocery shopping and no milk because it's all whole milk!! I heard this is the way it is in Japan but I also heard it's possible to find skim. Anyone in the kamimashiki area have any luck with this? I'm find drinking soy but I really don't want my shiny new yogurt maker to go to waste T_T

Also where can you find anise? dark chocolate (bar or chip form is fine but no nuts.. it's for baking!)?

And while I'm here I might as well ask if anyone has any recommended cook books (preferably in english) suited for all the goodies available in a Japanese market :)

Try Sweet Kitchen. It's a baking supply store in the city.

http://www.higonavi.net/shop/shop.shtml?s=1467

熊本市上通町9-13 トーカンマンション1F
So if you go down Kamitori almost to where the covered part ends, there should be Higo Bank. Make a RIGHT before it and go down that street. It's on the left. (I am 95% sure that's how you get there, so please double check before you go!) I've never looked for anise, but if it's in Kumamoto they probably have it. This is their Japanese company site that lists what they have and what's new:

http://www.sweetkitchen.jp/

Hope that helps!

And also with milk, I just spent 10 minutes in the section picking up cartons, looking at the calorie information and putting it back if it was too much. YES you will look like a crazy person but eventually you'll find what you're looking for.
Holly
1年生

Postby watermark1079 » Tue Jul 28, 2015 1:42 pm

I always prefer coconut milk..
watermark1079
2年生

Return to Life in the 'Moto