English-speaking Ophthalmologist Wanted.

Where do you shop? Where do you eat? Where do you workout? Where do you pray? Where do you learn that sexy dance fighting, capoeira? Share your recommendations on anything and everything related to life in Kumamoto.

English-speaking Ophthalmologist Wanted.

Postby Heidi of the Alps » Wed May 18, 2011 10:02 pm

Anyone know of one around the prefecture? I need to get my driver's license renewed and the State of Florida is forcing me to find an eye doctor that can fill out their complicated form. I visited one here in Tamana and she was just at a loss of what to do. The only one listed on the embassy website is Ideta Clinic. Anyone have any experience with that place?

~Heidi
Heidi of the Alps
Area Leader

Re: English-speaking Ophthalmologist Wanted.

Postby Zane » Thu May 19, 2011 11:32 am

The only English-speaking ophthalmologist listed in Kumamoto is the Ideta Ophthalmology Clinic in Kumamoto City. Here's the info on it:

Ideta Ophthalmology (出田眼科病院)
Nishitoujin Machi 39
〒860-0027 熊本県熊本市西唐人町39
096-325-5222
ideta.or.jp

You'd have to call them to see if they will be able to fill out your forms.

Anyone else have experience with filling out U.S. eye exam forms in Japan?
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!" - H. J. Simpson
Zane
PA

Postby scottb » Thu May 19, 2011 11:57 am

Judging by Ideta's website, there are two ophthalmologists, a father (Hidenao) and son (Ryuichi). It looks like the father is the English-speaker. He did some of his training and early work in the U.S. He rides horses, so he must be a nice guy.

He is at the clinic Monday-Thursday only. Hours are 8:00-16:00, and reservations are necessary.
scottb
PA

Postby Heidi of the Alps » Thu May 19, 2011 12:12 pm

Awesome! The fact that he trained in the US is the biggest plus. My form requires some knowledge on vision acuity based on the 20/20 system. The ophthalmologist here in Tamana understood but had a hard time with that part. She ended up just measuring my vision using the Japanese system and the Florida DMV said it wasn't acceptable. I will try and get to Ideta during the week and show them the form in person. Thanks Wonder-PAs!

~Heidi
Heidi of the Alps
Area Leader

Postby Heidi of the Alps » Fri Jun 10, 2011 3:06 pm

I just wanted to let anyone know that if they're looking for a good opthalmologist, there is one here in Kumamoto.

I was finally able to visit the Ideta Ophthalmology Clinic in Kumamoto City yesterday. If you're a new patient, they have a form in English as well as other directions in English. The main doctor, Dr. Ideta, was a very nice man with a lot of patience. He also had very little trouble filling out my form for my Florida DL renewal. He was able to administer my eye exam (using the Snellen chart as in the US) and explain the results to me in English. He seems to enjoy speaking English as he was rather happy to talk to me. Despite his age, he takes part in a 5km run every year. He was proud to tell me that he has, so far, won the gold medal in his age group (70+) for the past 3 years. He said nothing about horses though...

One drawback about Ideta Clinic is that it happens to be among the most well-known eye clinics in the prefecture. Everyday, it's packed with patients so that an appointment is required. Although I had a 1:30 appointment, I wasn't out of there until 4:30.

In any case, if you happen to fall into a similar situation to mine, I would recommend Ideta Ophthalmology Clinic.

~Heidi
Heidi of the Alps
Area Leader

Postby scottb » Mon Jun 13, 2011 11:13 am

Nothing about horses?! I don't care if he does know how to use the Snellen chart. I wouldn't let an eye doctor who lies about horses within 100 meters of my beautiful corneas.
scottb
PA

Postby Jen » Wed Jun 22, 2011 1:58 pm

Hey Heidi,

Thanks for the information, I've been recently looking to get an eye exam as well. Just one question though, were they also able to prescribe contact lens and/or glasses at their office as well? I am looking to load up before my journey home...

Thanks!
Jen
KumAJET

Postby Heidi of the Alps » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:50 pm

Hey Jen,

It was a pretty big clinic so I wouldn't be surprised if they offered that kind of service. Since I wasn't there for either of those things, I can't be sure. It is a rather long wait time and the docs are super busy though. I would recommend the clinic if you are in need of some serious help (like surgery) but if it's the small stuff, you may have it better at a less crowded clinic. Do you want your eye exam using the Snellen chart? If so, you can request it there. If you don't mind the wait, go ahead and make the appointment and take a book. The service was really good for me.

~Heidi
Heidi of the Alps
Area Leader

Postby Jen » Thu Jun 23, 2011 6:31 pm

Nothing to serious thankfully. Just a check-up. Sounds like it's best to go to a local clinic to get the goods rather than playing the wait game, even though the "good service" sounds so tempting...

Thanks again for your help,
Jen
Jen
KumAJET

Return to Life in the 'Moto