Life in the 'Mana! (Calling all Tamana people)

Where do you shop? Where do you eat? Where do you workout? Where do you pray? Where do you learn that sexy dance fighting, capoeira? Share your recommendations on anything and everything related to life in Kumamoto.

Life in the 'Mana! (Calling all Tamana people)

Postby TamanaJ » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:25 am

Hello!

Welcome to Tamana's newest members, who I guess are frantically googling to find out ANYTHING about the placement they have been given.

First off, don't worry, there is more to life in Tamana than eating ramen and sitting in hot water, as it may seem from what's available online. We have a wonderful community of kind old people and cute children, with a few people from the ages in between thrown in for good measure. Tamana sits between the sea and the mountains, which is very good feng shui for those interested. It takes just half an hour to get to Kumamoto city by JR train, and just 40 minutes to get to Fukuoka via the new shinkansen line. In Tamana itself, there are a good few shops and restaurants, and of course izakayas by the dozen. :kanpai: The towns surrounding Tamana city each have their own charms - Nagasu is famous for goldfish and nearly naked men, having festivals celebrating both of these; Arao has an excellent Korean restaurant and game centre; Yamaga has an enormous Buddha, and Nankan plays host to the yearly epicness that is the Tamana Halloween party, which attracts visitors from the far reaches of southern Kyushu as well as some parts of Honshu. I'm sure that the JETs residing in these towns will be keen to add their own perspectives in due course.

So this thread is for anyone coming to live in the area, as well as anyone interested in visiting, or anyone just curious about what can be found in the space between the metropolises of Fukuoka and Kumamoto. Feel free to post questions :?: , express excitement :o , vent anxiety :x , or just chill :coffee: .

Jake
TamanaJ
1年生

Re: Life in the 'Mana! (Calling all Tamana people)

Postby Heidi of the Alps » Tue Jun 28, 2011 5:47 pm

Way to rep Tamana, Jake! It's an awesome placement.
Heidi of the Alps
Area Leader

Postby Lemondrops » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:08 am

I'll be placed in Tamana (Woohoo!) Who else is placed in the city/surrounding area??
Getting close to departure and I'm anxious to meet everyone!!!
Lemondrops
1年生

Postby Heidi of the Alps » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:33 pm

This year, there are a total of 14 JETs that are in the Tamana area. We are losing 1 position but gaining another so it'll stay the same when you come in. You'll have plenty of people around you. There seriously is no shortage of Tamana-togetherness time. We're a pretty tight-knit group and we have local events going on all the time.

I can say that you're pretty lucky to be placed here. Welcome to Tamana! :kumamon:
Heidi of the Alps
Area Leader

Postby TamanaJ » Sat Jul 16, 2011 1:32 pm

I'm here in Tamana! Yes, as Heidi says, we have 14 JET participants in Tamana-gun, and we are all regularly in contact with each other. We meet up often, sometimes to watch films, sometimes to take trips, sometimes just to eat sushi! If 14 people just isnt enough, there are hundreds of JET participants across Kumamoto prefecture, and many events are held in the city. It's difficult NOT to bump into someone you know walking down the main shopping streets of Kumamoto.

Let us know if you have any questions or concerns!

Jake :mrgreen:
TamanaJ
1年生

Postby Valeria » Tue Jul 19, 2011 10:25 pm

Lemondrops wrote:I'll be placed in Tamana (Woohoo!) Who else is placed in the city/surrounding area??
Getting close to departure and I'm anxious to meet everyone!!!

Hey there Lemondrops,

I'm Valeria and I'm also in Tamana county and over in the town of Nagasu - your friendly neighbor.
Looking forward to seeing you soon!

- Valeria
Valeria
1年生

Return to Life in the 'Moto