Challenge? Or Chance! Color Cards Game

Learnin' the little ones.

Challenge? Or Chance! Color Cards Game

Postby Andrea » Thu Jul 21, 2011 3:18 pm

One day I was asked to teach the kids English rock-paper-scissors. I thought, "All day? 45 minutes of that? Seriously, that's all you want to do?" So for an irritated moment I stared lamely at what supplies I had brought with me. I 'inherited' a load of unexplained colored cards from one of my predecessors. They're just colored paper with white backs, laminated, and cut up about playing card size. They are not the same size. Then I made up this following game with them, and it was IMMENSELY successful! Both with the students, AND the teachers! I have only played this with classes of 6~12 students. Depending on the number of students, I've had to adjust the numbers around a little bit. That was the most challenging part. If you have the time, it's worth doing to make this work with your class. The kids will LOVE it!

*I can't say how well this would work with a larger sized class, so now I can't recommend it. If your prize is something as easy as a stamp, I think you can do it, and perhaps if you only mix in a small, limited number of challenge/chance cards by replacing a few of the regular ones.

What you need:
--Lots of color cards, all with the same back-side color: at least 10 colors, at least 8 cards per color.
--Some kind of prize, like stickers, a unique stamp, or little printed color photos of a cool animal, etc.

Based on ANY subject.

The rules are technically simple, but sometimes take a little time to explain. Give each kid 6 cards: 3 colors, 2 of each color. Then, hand out "Challenge/Chance Cards". Chose two left over colors you haven't given to the kids, and designate them Challenge and Chance -- but don't tell the kids what they are! Let each student take one card without looking. Now each student has 7 cards.

Basically, the kids janken (in English), and you have them do a set practiced dialog (see examples below). You can decide if the winner/loser initiates the conversation. In any case, after the dialog, the winner gives the loser one of their cards, then, without looking, takes one of the loser's cards. Do this for a set amount of time, and have them sit back down. At their desk, have them arrange the cards so that you can see how many of each color they have. Deal out prizes on weather or not they were able to reach your set goals.

My goals were: two sets of three, any two colors (3 red + 3 light blue), four of any one color (4 pink) = one prize; six of any one color (6 yellow) = two prizes. Just make sure that the total number of one color of cards can add up to your possible goals! You don't want to only hand out 4 of each color (total) and then not have your students even be able to reach that awesome 6-of-one-color goal!

Call out students with your "mysterious", limited number of Challenge/Chance cards. Reveal to them that *this* color card is the Challenge card, and *that* color is the Chance card! Tell any student with a Challenge card to come to the front of the class, and bring their challenge cards. Make them do the same challenge they just did for the game, but alone and in front of the class. If a student has more than one challenge card, make them do more. (ie, self intro, plus one extra sentence per card) Help them if they need it, of course, or be their partner. Give them plenty of applause!

Then call up the Chance card kids. Tell them that for every chance card they have (they might have many, or all of them), they have the chance to win one of your prizes simply by winning janken. If they lose, they can use another one of their chance cards if they have some. If they win, but still have some cards, let them give what's left to someone else (especially kids who didn't win anything yet). If they run out of chance cards, well, they were only chance cards and they have to sit back down.

Examples of what to make them do:
--Numbers. One child says one number, the other moves on to the next, until they reach 10 or 20 or whatever. Count backwards. :largegasp:
--Self introductions.
--Names of the week/months, listed one at a time like the numbers.
--Target questions. "What fruit do you like?" "I like~." / "When is your birthday?" "My birthday is~." etc.

The reaction after playing this game, especially in 3rd-4th grade, was "AGAIN! AGAIN! AGAIN!!" Because they understood the rules, it went much faster. At the end, though, I decided that the color of the Challenge/Chance cards were switched. Some kids who accumulated stickers gave them away to kids who didn't (on my polite suggestion), and they did it quite willingly. The teachers walked back to the staff room with me smiling, and told everyone what we did and how happy the kids were. I was certainly smiling, too. :D
Andrea
1年生

Return to Teaching in Elementary