Money and Numbers

Purgatory: too old to kancho, too young to dye their hair blorange.

Money and Numbers

Postby Cytrix » Wed Apr 25, 2012 12:33 pm

Background
School level: Low Level
Class level: Designed for 一年生 but can be done at higher levels for revision.
Lesson duration: 1 lesson - 50 minutes

Topic
Money and Numbers

Objectives of Lesson
To revise numbers in English.
To talk about large numbers in English.

Areas of learning covered
Reading: :idea: All activities
Writing: :idea: 3. Crossword Information gap 4. Writing Activity (writing words as numbers)
Listening: :idea: 3. Crossword Information gap 5. Listening activity
Talking: :idea: 1. Pronunciation 2. Line Game 3. Crossword Information Gap

Materials
1. Money and Numbers Lesson Plan
2. Money and Numbers worksheet
3. Crossword Information Gap Model
4. Crossword Information Gap
Money and Numbers Lesson.zip
Money and Numbers Materials
(117.63 KiB) Downloaded 337 times

Notes
I have taught this lesson several times now, at both 一年生 and 二年生 levels, and at varying English levels. It is a very simple lesson to differentiate. The students enjoy this lesson (especially the line game) as it can very quickly improve their ability to say numbers and they gain confidence.

To explain how to read out big numbers I have them treat each set of '3' numbers as individual hundreds that depending on where they sit may have an extra word tagged on at the end (e.g. thousand/million/billion/trillion/zillion/gazillion (yes I had a class go up to here!)...
e.g. 123, 456 = (One hundred and twenty three)+thousand, (four hundred and fifty six).
e.g. 123, 456, 789 = (One hundred and twenty three)+million, (four hundred and fifty six)+thousand, (seven hundred and eighty nine).
I would write it as a chart to help them out...
e.g. ! Trillion ! Billion ! Million ! Thousand ! Hundred ! -ty ! # !

One really effective way of starting is the following...
When introducing the topic (I normally say something like 'Today we are learning about Money and Numbers' and write the topic on the board, which the students are then prompted by the JTE what it is in Japanese) write a large number on the board. For my top 二年生 class I wrote 1, 234, 567, 890, 493, 385, for lower levels it's normally like 456, 890. I then announce to the class that by the end of the lesson everyone will know how to say this in English. This results in the students being all 'NOOO MUZUKASHI! EEEEEEEE?!'. I ask if anyone wants to volunteer to try now. Normally that results in a very silent classroom while avoiding eye contact. I keep the number up on the board all through the lesson. At the last minute of class I ask the whole class to read out the number together.
It really helps build their confidence as at first they think it's way too hard, but then by the end of the period they can do it so they feel pretty confident.

I have followed this lesson up with the Crash Course: Numbers and Dates lesson. I wrote the GIANT number up and straight away I had about 10 students raise their hands to say it out in English.
http://www.tabemoto.com/
A guide to cooking and eating in southern Japan
Cytrix
3年生

Return to Teaching in SHS