Festivals in Kumamoto

Checkout what's going on around the prefecture.

Festivals in Kumamoto

Postby achludzi » Tue Jun 14, 2011 8:10 am

Please post here if you know of any town/area festivals/events in your town/area.

Thank you/Best
Adam
achludzi
KumAJET/Area Leader

Re: Festivals in Kumamoto

Postby fehrkl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:46 pm

Aurora and I have been working to put together a wordpress blog specific to our gun (Kuma-gun), here is our events page so far http://kumagunguide.wordpress.com/events/

But ya it would be nice to see a list of big events from all the prefectures. Thanks Adam.

Krista :kumamon:
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
fehrkl
KumAJET/Area Leader

Postby Zane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 1:55 pm

Krista, would you mind if I linked to that site in the "helpful links" section?
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!" - H. J. Simpson
Zane
PA

Postby fehrkl » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:05 pm

No problem Zane, I think we were actually going to ask you to link it at some point but we are definitely still doing a lot of work on it. Feel free to link though. Thanks
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things you didn’t do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines, sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
fehrkl
KumAJET/Area Leader

Postby Zane » Tue Jun 14, 2011 2:22 pm

Thanks.
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!" - H. J. Simpson
Zane
PA

Postby Stephanie! » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:18 pm

Here in Yatsushiro, the biggest festival is the Myokensai festival. It's one of the biggest festivals in Kyushu, so we've been told and it's a blast! Guys dress up in loincloths and run huge horses through a local river and carry portable shrines through part of the city. Plus, there are plenty of food and games stalls. It happens every year on November 23rd.

We also have one of the largest firework festivals in all of Japan that usually happens in mid-October, and the dates change every year, but it's usually around the 16th.

Hope that helps! :kumamon:
You're an astronaut, and you're blowing up the MOON!
Stephanie!
Area Leader

Postby Heidi of the Alps » Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:55 pm

That fireworks festival was totally worth it. I still get chills from that "Under the Sea" set last year. :wow:
Heidi of the Alps
Area Leader

Postby Valeria » Thu Jun 23, 2011 9:58 pm

Out here in Nagasu-machi we have a few small festivals.

Noshikora Festial: August 20th, 2011.
We have local dance groups, food stalls, gold fish and turtle fishing (the source of Scott's legendary Oyatsu Turtle), and finish it off with groups competing with giant gold fish floats for the fastest time.

Matto Bakai: Mid- January
The Pompous Festival, or more lovingly referred to as "The Naked Man Festival."
Men strip down to their birthday suits (well, almost!) in near freezing temperatures, fight for a piece of the lucky target, all while getting water thrown at them, and then finally proceed to jump into the Ariake sea.

Kingyo Matsuri: Golden Week
Ever wanted to prove you are the Goldfish MASTER?! Please come try your hand at gold fish sukui (the record is 30 gold fish in one minute, I believe) and check out all the unimaginable gold fish there are. There's also a flea market!
Valeria
1年生

Tamana Fireworks Festival

Postby Zane » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:00 am

What: Tamana Fireworks Festival
When: Friday, August 5th, sundown
Where: Tamana City (North of Kumamoto City).

Tamana City is holding their annual Fireworks Festival this Friday (August 5th) after sundown. According to the Tamanamanians, whose integrity is above reproach, this is the 2nd largest fireworks festival in Kyushu, second only to the International Fireworks Competition held in Yatsushiro City each October. There is usually a fireworks festival at the Castle in Kumamoto City on the same night each year as part of the Hinokuni Festival (see below), but it's not nearly as good. I've been to both, and Tamana's beats the snot out of the lousy castle show (we're talking 10,000 fireworks vs. 3,000). If you've got some time, it's definitely worth the trip. Are you new to Japan? Then consider this your crash course in Japanese summer festivals. Throw on your yukata / jimbei and get ye to Tamana!

It's really easy to get to Tamana. Take the Kagoshima Line train north (toward Fukuoka) to Tamana Station (about 25 minutes, 6 or 7 stops). Get off the train and hang a right on the road that runs directly in front of the station. Keep straight until you run into the river, and you're there. It'll be impossible to miss as several thousand people will be making their way to the same spot. Enjoy.
Zane
PA

Hinokuni Festival

Postby Zane » Mon Aug 01, 2011 10:13 am

What: Kumamoto's famous Hinokuni Festival (火の国祭り)
When: August 5th, 6th and 7th.
Where: All over downtown Kumamoto City.

Events are as follows:

8/5 -
・Fireworks festival at the Castle (good, but not nearly as good as the Tamana Fireworks Festival)
・Concert on Symbol Road (the road that runs from the International Center to the Castle and Ninomaru Park).
・Somatou Story (Lantern dancing) Parade down Sun Road, The Shimotori and Kamitori.

8/6
・Dance Splash (no idea what this is, but I hope it's reminiscent of Flash Dance) at the Kotsu Center and Bipuresa Square (on the corner of Kamitori and the tram line).
・Stage performances at Bipuresu.
・Somatou Story (Lantern dancing) Parade down Sun Road, The Shimotori and Kamitori.

8/7
・Concert on Symbol Road (the road that runs from the International Center to the Castle and Ninomaru Park).

If you've got time, check it out. If you only have time for fireworks on Friday, skip this and go to Tamana.
Zane
PA

Next

Return to Happenings and Goings On