How do we buy a car?

Need to buy tickets to the sold-out AKB48 concert? Want to sell your home-made tanuki statues? Willing to swap hula lessons for bicycle repairs? Post here.

How do we buy a car?

Postby saravbrown » Thu Jun 30, 2011 12:20 am

I've been placed in Kikuchi City, right to the north of Kumamoto city, and my predecessor's description carries alot of "with a car" and "by car" mentions. There are also no trains to Kumamoto, which for me is highly inconvenient, sooooo I'm going to need to buy a car :frown: I know some people are selling theirs and believe me, I wish I could jump on those offers, but with all the other expenses to be covered during the arrival and settling-in pricess, I just don't have that much money on me right now. So I suppose I don't have any choice but to look for one after getting a paycheck or two.... :crying:

Nonetheless, I have questions!!! What legal concerns should we have when purchasing a car? Are there ways to finance a car so that I don't have to pay the whole price up front? When is shakken paid and how much is it? I'd there anyone selling a car that would enter into contract with me to receive payment in monthly installments of 10man? :crying:

Any and all help an information concerning car buying would be greatly appreciated. よろしくお願い致します!!!m(_ _)m
Last edited by saravbrown on Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
saravbrown
1年生

Re: How do we buy a car?

Postby Cytrix » Thu Jun 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Hey Sarah! I'm also in the situation where I'll be needing to get a car when I arrive in Mifune. My predecessor didn't need one, but I have an extra school to her that is off in the mountains and doesn't have a bus that goes that way...so car it is!

I'm also in the similar situation where I have enough money for the first month/settling in, but nowhere near what I'd need to buy a car (until my car back in NZ is sold when I'm away)...So I'm planning on renting a car for the first wee while until I can find a car to purchase...
http://www.tabemoto.com/
A guide to cooking and eating in southern Japan
Cytrix
3年生

Postby saravbrown » Fri Jul 01, 2011 2:55 pm

yeah.... I guess there's really no choice but to rent until I'm able to amass enough money to buy one... it just sucks that I'll be throwing all that money into a rental. I'm stressing out so much over the sheer amount of stuff we have to put out money for at the start up. Work wardrobe, a whole month's living expenses, omiyage for 50-80 people, etc.... and then a car. I just can't afford a lump 20man payment right now, but since no one is going to agree to getting paid in installments (even of 10manen/month), there's really no choice. :footmouth:
saravbrown
1年生

Postby Zane » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:43 pm

A common option JETs opt for is to lease a car from a dealership. It's a little more complicated at the beginning than buying outright, and it may not be a good value if you're planning on staying a long time, but it's a good way to get around the initial burden on purchasing a car. Monthly rates are usually between 20,000 to 30,000 yen a month for kei cars. Worth looking into if you need a car.
"I'm not normally a praying man, but if you're up there, save me Superman!" - H. J. Simpson
Zane
PA

Postby Remy » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:34 am

I was exactly in the same situation as you when I got here. I just didn't have enough money to buy a car so I decided to lease one. The leasing contract was for one year and I'm not gonna prolong it.

When you lease a car you don't have to pay shakken (car inspection) every 2 years and if you have an accident the garage you lease it from will change your car so you feel easy in your mind, but even taking this into account buying a car is a lot better of a deal.

Leasing a car costs me 25,000 yens a month (10,000 yens of which being insurance).

The car I'm about to buy costs 160,000 yens. Let's say the average cost of a kei-car (yellow plate) is 200,000 yens, + roughly 100,000 yens/year insurance + 60,000 yens shakken, that's 360,000 yens for the first year.

Right now, I pay 310,000 yens a year for leasing a car.

You WILL get at least 50,000 yens back when you sell your car as you leave so all in all buying a car is as economical (if not more) as leasing one if you stay just one year.

For 2 years that's 360,000 + 100,000 yens (insurance for the 2nd year) = 460,000 VS 620,000 yens (leasing a car for 2 years) >>> BUY A CAR

I'd really suggest you look into renting a car for a month or 2 to save up until you can afford a car and not sign a 12-month contract from the start. I kinda regret doing so myself and am now very happy to be able to buy one. If I had known I would have probably gone for a month or a 2-month leasing contract and then bought a car off of someone.

Just my 2p.

I can give you the name of the garage I'm leasing my car from if you're ever interested in going that way (knowing they only do 12-month or more leasing plans).
Last edited by Remy on Mon Jul 04, 2011 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pardon my French.
Remy
Area Leader

Postby saravbrown » Mon Jul 04, 2011 2:57 pm

マジで merci beaucoup!!! I really appreciate the advice!!!!! Thank you all so much :laugh:
I think I'd be best off purchasing since I plan to do a very good job and be around for more than just one year :tongue: I'm sure I'd be able to afford financing a car, so I'm hoping to ask my superior for assistance/advice in getting one :rgrin: Since my predecessor managed to get around without a car for a while, I'm sure I'll do just fine until getting my hands on more convenient transportation :rgrin:
saravbrown
1年生

Postby Bearbook » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:55 pm

Hey everyone

My friend is selling her car and she is open to arranging a payment plan.
She has posted the car in a new thread under the name dadams.
It is a cute car but has lots of space and I have taken a fair few road trips in it.

:)
Bearbook
1年生

Postby dadams » Mon Jul 11, 2011 9:38 am

The Suzuki Lapin mentioned above (in Bearbook's post) has already been sold.
dadams
1年生

Postby Kirsty07 » Mon Aug 08, 2011 11:04 am

Hi all I was wondering if anyone had contact details for dealerships that lease to foreigners is the kumamoto area? could you email me any details you may have to kirstybosworth@hotmail.co.uk

thanks

kirsty
Kirsty07
1年生

Return to Buy / Sell / Swap / Barter / Trade